Sunday, September 16, 2007

My love affair with profanity


It's finally over, I never thought it would come to such an end but sadly enough thats exactly what has happened. I'm writing this post to get some closure on the subject and also to re-analyze why this has happened.

Lets start at the beginning shall we ? when did you hear your first swear word or "cuss word" ? I'm sure many of you, like me, would've heard one from the mouth of a senior at school or an elder sibling. Later on, these words started popping up with increased frequency (thanks to Hollywood). The fact that the usage of these words in decent society was taboo probably spurred many of us into using it and feeling a secret sense of accomplishment each time we swore at a friend or class mate.

I don't remember the first time I yelled "FUCK YOU" or "FUCK OFF" to a person but I do remember that as the years rolled on it became a beloved member of my ever growing list of swear words. In college, guys would use a series of permutations and combinations to come up with very.. ahem, "colorful" variations that could turn the ears of the intended target a lovely shade of red. There was a time when I thoroughly enjoyed cursing, shouting out profanities at the top of my lungs; be it at a football match, on the highway racing my bike, a night out with the boys, weekends at the pub...ahh ! the list is endless. They were my best friends for a while, and got me thru some tough times. Ever noticed that after a point, even pain and sadness makes you scream out obscenities?

Ever since I left college and started working about 4 years ago, I've noticed a steady decline in my use of profanity. Maybe it was the working environment (or the fact that I had to sign a 20 page document called "Employee code of conduct") but in any case it has come down to a point where I can go for days without cursing.

So am I totally "obscenity free" ? no I'm not. They might still creep up in moments of anger or despair but I doubt with the same regularity as before... hehe... after all, how I can forget old friends ??

No comments:

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin