Saturday, March 21, 2009

Halfway there

It’s been month since I've given up meat for Lent and to be quite honest, I never thought I'd make it this far. I'm one of those people whose very existence depends on the consumption of meat. Giving up meat for more than 40 days may not be considered by many people as much of a sacrifice but for me it truly is! The reason I'm doing it is for the purpose of discipline rather than dietary reasons or for that "religious experience".

Depriving yourself of something you’ve depended on for so long makes you think long and hard about whether it really was a necessary part of your life. I quit smoking in 2006 and haven’t touched a cigarette since but sometimes on a cold winter’s day I imagine what it would be like to hold a freshly lit one between my fingers and take a long hard drag and feel that warm smoke swirling into my lungs. But then when I think about how much better my life has become without cigarettes I realize that it wasn’t such a bad idea to quit.

Yeah but back the main topic, since I work out and exercise moderately I was concerned about the lack of protein and iron in my diet since I’m not eating any red meat. I did some research on the internet and found this article on Medicalnewstoday [link]

Here’s an excerpt;

""Although meat is the best source of iron, it can also be found in:
-- pulses
-- green vegetables such as watercress, broccoli, spring greens and okra
-- bread
-- fortified breakfast cereals

WHICH FOODS CONTAIN PROTEIN ?

These foods are all good sources of protein, so try to include a mixture of these in your diet each day, and vary the types you choose:
-- pulses (such as lentils and beans)
-- nuts and seeds
-- eggs
-- soya
-- mycoprotein, sold as Quorn
-- wheat proteins, such as cereals, bread, rice and maize
-- milk and dairy products
""

You can read the full article here [link]

2 comments:

Grey said...

remember me o' righteous one when you are on the other side of the fence... send us some water :p

kiddin dude ! all the best * sucketh the juicy beef steak *

Mathai said...

hey Grey ! long time no see ! I'll remember you when I get to the other side.. I'm probably gonna need some wasta myself.. lol

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin