Monday, May 18, 2009

D60 vs H5


A lot of people have asked me about upgrading from a point and shoot to a DSLR and the most often asked question is.. "is it worth spending all that money on a camera?" After using the D60 for a couple of months my answer is "HELL YEAH!!" An SLR provides much more than a P&S in terms of controls and expandability and plus theres lesser noise at higher ISOs and I can shoot in RAW!

On the other hand there are quite a few features that I miss on the D60 that I previously enjoyed on the H5. I've made a list of the features I have now and the ones I'm missing

I have:
. Amazing response and zero flash recharge lag
. Lots of lens options from Nikon and other third parties like Sigma and Tamron
. Hot shoe for external flash
. Solid build quality
. Full manual controls
. Less noise at higher ISO speeds
. RAW image shooting
. Faster burst mode

I dont have:
. Live view (available only on more expensive models like the D90)
. Exposure bracketing
. Depth of field preview
. Live histogram
. Video recording

Some of the features on this list are now available on the newly released Nikon D5000

4 comments:

Rayboy said...

Sadly... its greek to me. But its good, that you are improving into it much more as time goes by.

Bu Yousef said...

Comparing an SLR and a point an shoot is like comparing a beautiful sports car - with a lemon!

Mathai said...

Rayboy: Yeah I'm quite comfortable with my SLR now and learning to maximize its potential

Bu Yousef: LOL ! exactly !! but I still have people asking me how it compares to a P&S :(

Abid said...

I really want to buy a DSLR but no money right now :(

The only thing I'll miss is Live view.

Exposure bracketing - I rarely use; I just change the exposure manually and reshoot.

Depth of field preview - my camera doesn't have it.

Live histogram - camera doesn't have it.

Video recording - I am very much against using a digicam for video recording; that's what the camcorder is for.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin